When we know that we have 5 minutes left to do something whether it’s to finish a task close out a game or just to make it to a destination on time, we realize that 5 minutes isn’t much time at all. But if you’d put those 5 minutes to good use then they can be the best 5 minutes of your day. In a close football game they don’t consider the game over with 5 minutes remaining so therefore they practice the ‘2 minute drill’ in basketball a close game comes down to the last second so 5 minutes can last a while. At a job we take the last 5 minutes to gather our things and clean up the clutter that we’ve taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to accumulate during the day. In school taking a test we take the last 5 minutes finishing up or reviewing our answers. Goggle has a list of 21 things that you can do in 5 minutes, I’m sure that you can find a couple to apply to your daily life.
1. Answer 5 emails.
2. Return a phone call.
3. Read a few pages of a book (on you phone or ipad.)
4. Tell someone how much you appreciate them.
5. Listen to someone tell you a story.
6. Write in your journal.
7. Pay someone a compliment.
8. Do a favor for someone (Even a stranger.)
9. Review your calendar.
10. Affirm your goals. (They should be written down.)
11. Listen to a motivation song. (I recommend K-Love.)
12. Check your todo list. (If you don’t have one then make one.)
13. Clean your workspace.
14. Go for a walk, around the workplace.
15. Text someone just to say you love or miss them.
16. Do a quick task. (Or even a couple.)
17. Delegate an item that you have been holding up.
18. Slow down and catch your breath.
19. Add a new number to your address book.
20. Do some preventative maintenance. (Before there is an issue!)
21. Enjoy where you are… you will never be in that exact moment again.
The UD (Unit director) (manager) where I work does #4 everyday that he works, he never leaves without thanking all the employees that are working and how much he appreciates them. “Thanks Steve”. I do #11 on my way to work each day, and #14 when I get to work making sure that I greet each employee that’s working. I find myself having to do #18 quite a few times some days if I had to recommend the most important thing from this list it would be this. I’ll have to make this list 22 things to do in 5 minutes and #1 would be to pray, preferably the first 5 minutes of the day, but of course the last 5 works also just get it in at some point during the day. We all have the same amount of time in each day, and we all can make more of the time that we have. It’s all about not letting the life’s little moments slip by. Your 5 minutes begin now, what’re you going to do with it? (Guess what it probably took you 5 minutes to read this.)